Celebrate Canada 150 with The Red Canuck, a cocktail created by Tabasco!
10g Himalayan salt
2 tomatoes (to make 40 ml tomato water)
35ml Iceberg vodka
20 ml lemon juice
1 tsp white sugar
3 dashes of Tabasco sauce
1 cherry tomato
1 stick of lemongrass
- Pour the Himalayan salt onto a small plate and spread evenly.
- Slice the lemon through the middle and using the edge of one side of the lemon, wet the rim of a martini glass.
- Dip the lemon rim into the salt plate ensuring the salt covers the whole rim (excess can be discarded).
- Prepare the tomato water by cutting the tomatoes into two and squeezing each half through a small strainer over a glass to filter the pulp.
- The tomato liquid should be lightly pink in color. Set aside.
- Muddle the lemongrass into the base of a cocktail shaker using a grinder, then add the vodka, lemon juice, sugar, tomato water and Tabasco sauce to the shaker.
- Add cubed ice to the top, cover and shake for 15 seconds.
- Strain through a cocktail strainer into the martini glass taking care not to splash the salted edges.
- To garnish, pierce the cherry tomato through the middle with a cocktail stick and rest on the rim of the glass.
- Next to it, and the stick of lemongrass.
- To finish, make a lemon twist by cutting a ½ cm wide strip around the whole circumference of the lemon using a peeler.
- Twist the strip with your hands over the cocktail and rest on the rim of the glass opposite the cherry tomato.
We are so thankful for all of the rights and freedoms our glorious nation has granted us. Cheers, Canada! Please drink responsibly.